Smoking may be to blame for North Providence apartment fire - ABC6 - Providence, RI and New Bedford, MA News, Weather

Smoking may be to blame for North Providence apartment fire

Posted: Updated:

By: Melissa Randall

mrandall@abc6.com

Twitter: @MelissaARandall

One person was rushed to Rhode Island Hospital early Thursday morning after being burned while trying to put out a fire in his North Providence apartment. The man, in his 50's, suffered first and second degree burns to his face.

The fire started around 1:30 AM in the Smithfield Road apartment complex. When firefighters arrived they were met by heavy smoke and flames pouring out of a second floor bedroom. The fire is believed to be accidental.

"He was upstairs in the bedroom. It could be smoking, but uh, he went downstairs and came back upstairs and he had fire in his bedroom," said Brian Zarlenga, Battalion Chief for North Providence speaking about the tenant's actions in the moments before the fire broke out.

There is no official cause at this time. The State Fire Marshal's office is investigating.

The apartment where the fire began suffered smoke and water damage. The family who lived here has been displaced. Everyone else in the complex was allowed back into their homes.

The victim is expected to be okay.

(C) WLNE-TV 2013

Powered by WorldNow

10 Orms Street Providence, R.I. 02904
401-453-8000

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WLNE.
All Rights Reserved.

For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.