Mattress caught fire, ignited blaze in Newport apartment - ABC6 - Providence, RI and New Bedford, MA News, Weather

Mattress caught fire, ignited blaze in Newport apartment

Posted: Updated:

By Alana Cerrone

acerrone@abc6.com

Fire officials have determined that a mattress caught fire in a Newport apartment building Friday.

The Newport Fire Department responded to the complex on Girard Avenue just after 10:00 Friday night.

Seven people inside - including six adults and one child - escaped the blaze but are now without a home, receiving aid from the Red Cross.

The mattress caught fire in the bedroom and, although it was contained in the bedroom, left smoke and water damage throughout other apartments. Officials are still investigating how the mattress first caught fire.

(C) WLNE-TV 2013

 

Powered by WorldNow

10 Orms Street Providence, R.I. 02904
401-453-8000

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WLNE.
All Rights Reserved.

For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.