Last week a container of Mercury was spilled by a custodian at a Westerly school office after he was cleaning out cabinets in the basement.
Emergency response official at the Department of Environmental Management, John Leo said that it is a "very, very" minor incident, only a quarter of an ounce was spilled.
Mercury vapor is a big health risk but no one was exposed to it for a long period of time.
The building, which quarters high school classes, a day care center, and offices, was closed down by Superintendent Roy M. Seitsinger Jr.
It was reopened after the spill was cleaned a few hours later but the day care center remained closed the whole day.
WLNE-TV / ABC6 2013
10 Orms Street Providence, R.I. 02904
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WLNE.
All Rights Reserved.