A gas leak caused a half a dozen homes in Tiverton to be evacuated on Tuesday morning.
Around 8:44 a.m. a Verizon crew was setting new telephone poles on Hooper Street when one worker struck a gas feed with the auger.
The crew immediately stopped working and shut down all machines. The fire department responded to the scene and evacuated 6 nearby homes in the area of 231 Hooper Street.
National Grid crews shut off the gas feed in the area however no gas leaked into any of the homes.
People are now back in there houses has the scene is deemed safe and national grid is working on repairing the gas feeds.
While Tiverton Fire crews were busy at the gas leak trucks from Fall River, Portsmouth, and Westport helped the town respond to basic emergency calls.
10 Orms Street Providence, R.I. 02904
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WLNE.
All Rights Reserved.