Worker burned while working on new Wal-mart - ABC6 - Providence, RI and New Bedford, MA News, Weather

Worker burned while working on new Wal-mart

Posted: Updated:

Dee DeQuattro

ddequattro@abc6.com

A man working on the new Wal-mart building in Swansea was seriously burned on the job this afternoon.

Firefighters on scene tell ABC 6. The worker was on the roof of the new building working on a gas generator, when some fumes ignited burning the worker over the upper part of his body including his face and arms. Officials say either fumes ignited burning the man or he spilled gas on himself.

The worker, who has not been identified, was med-flighted to Rhode Island Hospital.

"This was a bit of a freak accident related to the generator... disconnected it," said Chief Peter Burke of the Swansea Fire Department.

Crews are back at work on the job after the fire chief gave them the all clear.

(C) WLNE-TV 2013

Powered by WorldNow

10 Orms Street Providence, R.I. 02904
401-453-8000

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WLNE.
All Rights Reserved.

For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.