Massahusetts (4-16, 1-4) got the only scoring it would need in the
top of the fifth, plating a pair of two-out runs off of Rhody starter Sean Furney.
The Rams (13-16, 2-3) managed to put a pair of runners on base in the
bottom of the inning - as well as in the eighth - but were unable to
advance anyone beyond second base.
Inside the Box Score
- Despite allowing just two runs on five hits over a 8.0-inning start
Sean Furney (3-3) was charged with the loss. He struck out seven batters
and walked none.
- Furney's scoreless streak came to an end at 28.1 innings when UMass scored a pair of runs in the top of the fifth.
- Andrew Grant (2-3) earned the win for the Minutemen, allowing just four hits over a complete game shutout.
- Joe Landi went 2-for-3 for the Rams while Shane O'Connell reached twice on a base hit and a walk.
- Rhode Island's 1-6 hitters combined to go 0-for-21 on the afternoon.
- Nik Campero had two of Massachusetts' six hits while Rob McLam doubled for the only extra-base hit of the game.
Rhody and UMass return to Bill Beck Field to close out the series at Noon on Sunday.