Rams Fade Late, Drop 67-55 Decision to Norfolk State
Rhode Island dropped its season opener - and the first game of the Hall of Fame Tipoff Classic. It also extended URI's home opener slide to three games.
Inside the Box Score and Beyond: * Nikola Malesevic led all scorers with a career-high 26 points. The 6-7 Serb knocked down 7-of-15 from the floor (3-4 3FG), while also grabbing nine rebounds in 33 minutes.
* Ryan Brooks contributed on the defensive end of the floor tonight. In his most significant action in close to two seasons, the senior forward added eight rebounds (4 off./4 def.) and four blocked shots. He also drew a key offensive foul late in the second half.
* Rhody led by five at the break - 30-25 - but Norfolk State opened the second half on an 8-0 run over the first 3:03 of action.
* After shooting 13-of-17 from the charity stripe in the first 20:00 of play, the Rams struggled down the stretch - connecting on just 6-of-13. Included in that total were two front-ends of a 1-and-1.
* The Rams registered just one assist in the second half.
* Andre Malone added 13 points. After starting 0-for-4 from the outside in the first half, he connected on 3-of-7 in the second half. He also added four boards.