Democrat Clark wins Mass. congressional race
BOSTON (AP) - Democrat Katherine Clark has defeated three opponents to win a special election to fill a vacant Massachusetts congressional seat.
The state senator from Melrose will be only the fifth woman to represent Massachusetts in the U.S. House.
After winning a crowded Democratic primary, Clark ran a low-key general election campaign, agreeing to a single debate against Republican Boston attorney Frank Addivinola.
The other two candidates were Wellesley resident James Aulenti and Arlington resident James Hall.
The 5th Congressional District seat became vacant earlier this year after Edward Markey won a special election to fill John Kerry's Senate seat. Kerry had stepped down to become secretary of state.
The district stretches from the coast to communities north and west of Boston. It is heavily Democratic.
Clark will face re-election next year.
Mass. panel finds path for Revere casino plan
BOSTON (AP) - State gambling regulators have adopted a plan that would allow Mohegan Sun to pursue a proposed resort casino on land owned by Suffolk Downs in Revere, pending the results of a second vote by Revere residents.
The compromise approved by the Massachusetts Gaming Commission Tuesday was an attempt to resolve a sticky dispute over whether the shift to a Revere-only facility would require a second referendum.
The Revere proposal emerged after an earlier plan from Suffolk Downs to build a casino on the Boston-Revere border was rejected by voters in the East Boston neighborhood, while approved by Revere voters.
Tuesday's vote allows Mohegan Sun to request a waiver from commission rules that required a certified referendum vote before the Dec. 31 casino application deadline. A vote then could take place after the deadline, possibly in February.
Police: Woman dies in Revere dragging
REVERE, Mass. (AP) - State police are investigating the death of a woman they say was struck and dragged by a vehicle in Revere.
A spokesman for the Suffolk County District Attorney's office says the woman in her early 50s was struck around 7 p.m. Tuesday. She was reportedly dragged about a half-mile by an unknown vehicle that left the scene.
DA's office spokesman Jake Wark said late Tuesday that investigators were interviewing a Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority driver whose bus was in the area at the time.
Police seek attacker of woman found in street
CHELSEA, Mass. (AP) - Prosecutors and police are asking for help identifying the attacker who fatally injured a woman in Chelsea.
The Suffolk district attorney's office said Tuesday the woman was a Revere resident in her 40s. Her name wasn't immediately released.
Chelsea police found the woman just after 1 a.m. when they got a call that a woman was lying in the street at Broadway and Congress Avenue.
The district attorney's office said witnesses told police she had been walking from the direction of nearby Everett Avenue when she fell to the ground.
She was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital, where she later died.
Her death is being investigated as a homicide.
Key witness in Mass. murder trial killed in Pa.
(Information in the following story is from: Taunton (Mass.) Daily Gazette, http://www.tauntongazette.com )
FALL RIVER, Mass. (AP) - A key witness in a Massachusetts murder trial has been killed by police in Pennsylvania, prompting prosecutors to ask a judge for more time to subpoena additional witnesses.
Jean Carlos Lopez is scheduled to go on trial this week in connection with the 2010 stabbing death of 17-year-old Tigan Hollingsworth.
Prosecutors say Jared Brown-Garnham, who could place Lopez at the scene of Hollingsworth's slaying, was killed Sunday by police after allegedly placing a knife at the throat of an 8-month old girl.
The Taunton Daily Gazette reports that prosecutors asked a judge Monday to delay opening statements until Wednesday.
Authorities say Hollingsworth was stabbed 13 times after he was chased from a Taunton convenience store by Lopez, his brother and uncle.
Lopez's lawyer says his client is not guilty.
Man in burned remains case held on other charges
HAVERHILL, Mass. (AP) - A Massachusetts man whose rental home police have linked to a dismembered, burned body found last month has appeared in court on unrelated charges.
The Boston Globe reports $100,000 bail was set Tuesday for 26-year-old Reginald Cummings of Salisbury. He was arraigned in Haverhill District Court on a malicious destruction of property from last spring and alleged violation of his probation on drug convictions. Cummings' attorney declined to comment.
The burned remains of 24-year-old Dennis Ray Jackson of Haverhill were found Nov. 14 in Bridgewater and Boston.
Police said they found evidence believed connected to Jackson's death in a house Cummings rented in Haverhill. Cummings hasn't been charged in Jackson's death, and has said he had no role in it.
Cummings was arrested in California last month on the alleged probation violation.
Boston man faces arraignment in July killing
BOSTON (AP) - A Boston man accused of kidnapping, robbing and killing a 24-year-old woman last summer is being arraigned in Superior Court.
Twenty-nine-year-old Edwin Alemany was indicted last month in the July death of Amy Lord, a Wilbraham native living in South Boston. He's expected in court Wednesday morning.
Alemany also was indicted in three non-fatal attacks on young women, two the same week Lord was killed. The alleged victim of a third attack almost a year earlier grabbed his wallet and told police. Officials have demoted a detective they said failed to pursue it.
Alemany pleaded not guilty in district court in Lord's killing. He's been held at a state psychiatric facility.
Prosecutors say Lord was forced to drive to five ATMs and withdraw money, then to drive to a city park where she stabbed to death.
Mass. police: woman's body found in submerged car
SPENCER, Mass. (AP) - State police are investigating the death of a 23-year-old Spencer woman whose body was found in a car submerged in a pond.
State police said the 2009 Subaru Outback was found at about 11:15 a.m. Tuesday in the pond near Paxton Road in Spencer. They have not released the woman's name.
The Telegram & Gazette of Worcester reports the car was removed from the pond Tuesday afternoon and appeared to have been in the water for some time.
Mass. authorities seek help in 2011 double slaying
ANDOVER, Mass. (AP) - Massachusetts authorities are renewing their appeal to the public for help into the investigation of the shooting deaths of an Andover couple nearly two years ago.
Sixty-nine-year-old John Magee and 67-year-old Geraldine Magee were found dead in their home by their daughter on Dec. 14, 2011.
The couple's Lexus SUV was found burning the previous night in Boston, about 20 miles away.
On Tuesday, as the two-year anniversary of the couple's death approaches, Essex District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett and Andover Police Chief Patrick Keefe said they are still actively investigating the killings. They urged anyone with possible information to contact Massachusetts state police detectives assigned to Blodgett's office.
SEXUAL ASSAULT-FACEBOOK POST
Mass. man admits rape, Facebook posting of photos
MARBLEHEAD, Mass. (AP) - A Massachusetts man has been sentenced to five to seven years in prison for sexually assaulting an unconscious woman and posting photographs of his acts on Facebook.
Prosecutors said 44-year-old Reid Jones of Marblehead pleaded guilty Tuesday in Salem Superior Court to rape, indecent assault and battery, identity theft and photographing an unsuspecting nude person.
Prosecutors said Jones posted the semi-nude photos on a fake Facebook page he created in the woman's name. They said the victim didn't know what had happened and went to police when she found out about the posting. Investigators discovered more photos on Jones' computer showing the rape.
The Salem News reports Judge Howard Whitehead in court Tuesday called the crime "particularly malicious" and that prosecutors said the woman was assaulted when she fell asleep following a dinner party at Jones' home.
Report: Unchecked development could threaten future of Massachusetts forests
BOSTON (AP) - A new study is warning that if left unchecked, the ongoing loss of forests in Massachusetts will undermine land conservation, threaten water quality and limit natural protections from the harsher aspects of climate change.
The two-year study being released Wednesday by researchers at Harvard University and the Smithsonian Institution projects how the state's forests could change over a 50-year period under four different scenarios.
The researchers used computers to look at the state acre-by-acre and model changes over time for each of the scenarios.
The study concludes that best scenario for both Massachusetts residents and the natural environment is one where forests are actively managed and protected from encroaching development.
The study's lead author Jonathan Thompson said the study is the first of its kind for an entire state.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.